Recipes for a Natural Laundry Room: Laundry Soap, DIY Laundry Softener and DIY Scent Booster
This incredible natural laundry room setup is full of low toxin, DIY products – including natural laundry soap! We’ve ditched the fragrances and crazy ingredients in common laundry products, and we have swapped them for endocrine and respiratory safe options in beautiful jugs and jars. In this post I’m showing you my top 3 DIY recipes and all of the supplies you need to replicate it!
Where I’ve Been on My Natural Laundry Room Journey
I first tried getting rid of the toxins in our laundry room back in 2010. Soap nuts were the first thing I tried 11 years ago. Hah! I went extreme. They kind of worked, and they mostly didn’t.
Since then I’ve been on a mission to discover all of the best tips, tricks + DIY’s to get the laundry to be safe for my family and made a lot of mistakes along the way. I’m here to help you get to your goals of a more natural laundry room without the trial and error I went through.
I bought way too many “greenwashed” products (those that make themselves look super green + low toxin but are actually swimming in toxic fragrances and more). Those very tempting color catching sheets came into my home. I used dryer sheets that I thought were safer and were instead covered in fragrance and chemicals.
How Far I’ve Come & You Can Too
All of this to arrive here where I have curated my dream DIY, low toxin laundry room. I’ve framed the recipes for simple refills in the future. I’ve made matching labels for all of my jars and bottles. It’s all here and I’m in love!
I have 3 DIY recipes to share with you today and all of the sources for my containers + decor. If you’d like the full and complete guide which includes all of my natural laundry room recipes and printable labels, you can purchase that for $9 here (it comes with my complete kitchen + bath guide too!):
Here’s a bundle of our favorite Young Living products that we use to DIY products in our home.
- 1/2 gallon glass pump bottle
- 32oz container, Thieves Laundry Soap - keep the cap!
- 1/4 cup Thieves Household Cleaner
- Fill the rest of the way with water
- Optional: add 15-20 drops of any essential oil
- Mix all ingredients together in the glass jug and give it a good stir or shake.
- Use the cap you kept and fill 1/2 capful per normal sized laundry load.
- 1/2 gallon glass jar with a lid
- 4 cups Epsom Salt
- 2 cups Sea Salt (I used pink Himalayan which gives it the pink color)
- 2 cups Baking Soda
- 80 drops essential oils (this is equivalent to a 5ml bottle)
- Combine all the ingredients well in a large bowl.
- Let sit to air dry a bit and then transfer into glass jar with lid.
- To use, add 2-3 tablespoons of the mix directly to the washing machine load.
- 1/2 gallon glass pump bottle
- 7 cups vinegar
- 1 /2 cup rubbing alcohol
- 40 drops of Thieves, Lavender or Purification Essential Oil
- Add all ingredients to the 1/2 gallon glass bottle and give a good shake before each use.
- Use 1/8 - 1/4 cup per washing machine load
YOUNG LIVING PRODUCTS
These are powerful, essential oil (plant-based) cleaning products that are fragrance-free and also free of all of those chemicals we already talked about. They’re the real deal and they are the only things we have used in our natural laundry room + home we discovered them in 2018.
Please note that I am a brand partner for Young Living and I make a commission from your order. My referral # is 18879852.
As a customer of mine, you will be able to join team exclusive education groups + have my hand to hold so that you are never lost on your journey with more natural lifestyle options!
EVERY DAY HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
- white vinegar (we got ours from Costco)
- rubbing alcohol
- hydrogen peroxide
- lemon juice
- sea salt
- epsom salt
- baking soda
You do not need to spend a bunch of money to buy cute labels on Etsy if you don’t want to. I’ve designed a TON for you to use. Get those in my $9 guide (includes my kitchen + bath labels too):
CONTAINERS & PUMP LIDS
If you want to find the containers & pump lids I used in my natural laundry room, I’ve listed the exact ones below (unless noted).
- 1/2 gallon glass jugs (used for the 3 pump bottles in between my washer and dryer: laundry soap, softener, natural bleach, and my Thieves Cleaner refill pump bottle on the shelf)
- 1 gallon glass jug (used for laundry soap refill container on the shelf)
- pumps (you’ll need to trim about 1 inch off the bottle with scissors to fit the 1/2 gallon jugs)
- 16oz spray bottles (to make stain spray + thieves household cleaner spray) wood top canisters (originally from target but sold out so here’s a similar option)
- wood top canisters (originally from target but sold out so here’s a similar option)
- black + white trays (holding liquid items on both sides of the shelf)
- wool dryer balls (your best substitute for dryer sheets. Add 3-4 drops to a couple of them and throw them in the dryer with your clothes. They speed up dry time too!)
- favorite dryer ball oils – gentle baby, lavender, purification
- molly’s suds oxygen whitener
- stain brush
- cart in between washer + dryer
Thank you for reading today! If you’d like to learn more about me, please visit my About page!